Day 3 ~ Embassy Day!!

Monday, June 11, 2012
Embassy Day!! The last super important thing that had to be done before I could allow myself to breath a little easier. Every family in guest house had their embassy appointment on the same day, so we all had to be up and ready to leave pretty early, considering it was going to take us about 30-40 minutes to get there. I had to get up super early in order to have time to get myself ready, get Isaiah ready and have time to feed him before we left. I couldn't get my hair dryer to work (of course I couldn't, lol) so I had to go with all nat-ur-al and lots of spray, Ha!!

I managed to get us both ready and Isaiah fed and still have a few minutes to get a couple of "Embassy Day" pictures snapped before we left. I was so ready to go and get this last part done and over with!!

It was raining that day which made for some interesting moments, more on that in a minute. We lined up outside the Embassy building waiting to go inside. It felt so surreal standing out in public with my son. Until that day I had only held him within the gates of the little compound that makes up the transition house and guest house. Being out in public with him made the reality of everything a little bit more "real" It was a neat feeling having my son with me :-)

Once we got in the building we had to go through security first. One would think you just put your diaper bag through the belt to get scanned and walk on through, but nope not me, lol my diaper bag kept going off like something was in it? I had already given them my cell phone and charger and would you believe that the thing causing it to go off was a toy of Isaiah's! These little toy keys that he just LOVES were the culprit of us holding the line up, Ha! Finally we were cleared to go through and I continued on out the door to walk through the court yard that lead into the actual Embassy building. You remember I said it had been raining? Well combine that with me wearing heels (why did I wear those, lol) and the first step I took outside my foot went sliding!! Thankfully I managed to stay standing up after making a few moves that one should never make in public, Ha!! Woudneh almost had a heart attack because yes I was holding my son. I assured him had I fallen I would have thrown myself over to land on my back :-) I don't think he got the funny part in that.

Woudneh grabbed my arm and walked me to the building and believe it or not my foot slipped again! I wish I could have gotten a picture of Woudneh's face! I manged to make it in the building without hurting myself, lol

When I walked through the door I was standing in this huge room with about 60 other people! Most of them Ethiopians. Our group quickly went and sat down and waited to be called. When my name got called I walked up to this tiny window where the Embassy worker asked me a few questions. Of course the entire time I was trying to answer him my head was being pulled up and down by my darling son who had managed to grab a big clump of my hair and go to town :-) Everthing went great with all the families who were there and we headed out to take our kiddos back to the transition house before we all headed to a wonderful Italian restaurant for a celebration lunch. Of course what would the trip back be without me almost falling AGAIN on our way to the van, Ha! Or of course the part where I was almost thrown to the front of the van while holding Isaiah because the driver slammed on the breaks at the last minute! Love Ethiopian driving, LOL

My sleepy boy passed out from our trip to Embassy :-)

After lunch we headed to a new development going up outside of Addis. The land there is beautiful and Woudneh and his wife are in the process of building a new house that he wanted to show us. It amazes me to see how different things are in other countries then in America. I mean seriously can you imagine building a house like that in the states??

The house is probably 30 feet in the air and Woudneh wanted to take us all to the roof!! I wasn't exactly excited about the idea, seeing as I am terrified of heights, but I decided to take one for the team, LOL The ramp that you see in the picture below is what he wanted us all to walk up to get to the roof!! I may have gone up to the roof but I was NOT getting there via that ramp! I took the chicken's way and used the steps.

I have never been SO EXCITED to be back on land, Ha!! I LOVED the beautiful view from the roof but I can't lie I was super nervous!!

After we left the house we all decided to stop at Kaldi's for dinner. For those of you who may not know, Kaldi's is like the Starbucks of Ethiopia! They even have the same logo, and yes there coffee is yummy!!

1 comment